Feb 22, 2013

Road Hazard?

It's time to really reflect on whether or not I'm a danger on the road.

Since starting the 12WBT, I have been so absorbed in the program, I have had a few moments that could be considered 'vague' at the very least. The last time I was so blissfully ignorant of my surroundings was when I was pregnant, 14 years ago.

Let me give you some examples:

1. On Wednesday, I planned to meet a friend and go for a walk when we dropped our girls off for dance classes. When I got to the dance studio, I was scrambling around with my water bottle and car keys while frantically trying to get my mobile phone into my pants' pocket. Only after several attempts did I finally look down to discover that my clothes were inside-out.... Nice.

2. Charged out of the house yesterday afternoon for my 'red' walk, leaving no-one at home. I'm on the way back, with about 20 minutes to go when the phone rings...Here's the conversation:

HUSBAND: Where are you?.... 

SELF: *pant" *snort* 'Just...(pant) ...out (pant)....walking' (pant).

HUSBAND: How long have you been gone?

SELF: (pant) About (pant) 40 (pant) minutes (pant)

HUSBAND: Oh right. Do you know you left the garage door open and the house unlocked?

SELF: Oh (pant) really (pant)?

3. Now picture this: Earlier in the week I'm cleaning the house like Linda Blair on speed, with my industrial vacuum  cleaner strapped onto my back, so I look quite similar to a ghost-buster. I come flying out of the bedroom with about 20 miles of electrical cord trailing behind me, when the self-closing bedroom door closes and wrenches me backward like a cartoon dog on a lead.

A fitting end to my cleaning frenzy, I tried to turn the vacuum cleaner off but it kept turning back on, so I assumed that I'd rooted the cord and left the whole thing out for above-mentioned husband to fix. On his return home, I explained the situation (which resulted in two curiously raised eyebrows) and he went to assess the damage. Here's the conversation:

HUSBAND: (holding two wires) Any idea what these might be?

SELF: Ummm... nope.

HUSBAND: You've ripped the live wires out of the switch!

SELF: Oh, OK.

HUSBAND: Lucky you didn't touch them. - that's 240 volts!

SELF: Oh, OK.

So, you see, I'm really rather dangerous at the moment... but blissfully euphoric, so that's...oh... OK!


No comments: